Friday 31 March 2017

twenty five, six, seven AND eight down, 254 to go!

It's hard to believe that a year has passed since my last Munro, Meall Ghaordaidh, number 24. At that point I was trying to get to 30 Munros before turning 30, which hinged on bagging 4 in Glen Lyon on Saturday 26th March 2016.

After surviving a wild night in a tent with very little sleep, my cousin Colin and I drove out to Invervar, battling flooded roads and knowing deep down we'd not be getting any hills done today. We took a walk at the Birks of Aberfeldy, my legs sore from the Munro the day before and the uncomfortable tent situation.

We vowed we'd be back, however I didn't imagine it would take a year. We discussed it briefly during the summer but I was fairly adamant that I wasn't fit enough. I was also so consumed with wedding planning that every day off was spent doing crafty things or stocking up (or stressing out).

A few weeks ago, Colin suggested Saturday 25th March as a potential date for heading back to Invervar. In my head I was sure I wasn't fit enough, but I agreed, fairly certain the weather would be a factor in us not making it again.

After a week of long dog walks and plenty of fresh air in West Linton, Saturday rolled around with the forecast looking amazing. Okay, there was no getting out of it this time, I was just hoping I'd manage it.

I left Stow at 7.30am and met Colin and his friend Callum in Aberfeldy. We took one car out to Invervar, arriving around 11am. The place was mobbed, but with the best day of the year so far ahead of us, no wonder! We parked alongside the other cars on the roadside, and debated over whether to take waterproofs with us or not. In the end I took my jacket and waterproof trousers, knowing there would be no rain, but concerned about the summits being chilly. (Spoiler - I didn't need to put my jacket on once - that must be a first for my Munro adventures!).

We set off at 11.15am, picking our way through the unsightly felled plantation, and onto a forestry track. Thankfully we then followed a nicer track alongside a burn, and across a rickety old bridge. The views were opening up ahead of us, and it was feeling rather warm in the sunshine. There were patches of snow across the path to pick our way through, but thankfully nothing too deep.
Across the bridge!
 



We were heading first for the summit of Carn Gorm, doing most of the day's ascent on this Munro. And it felt like quite a slog at times! A bit of a shock to the legs, and a couple of times we thought we were almost at the summit, where in fact we had a bit further to go beyond.
Heading up Carn Gorm


Colin & Callum up ahead
Eventually, after over two hours, we reached the summit of Carn Gorm, Munro number 1 of the day, and Munro number 25 for me!
Carn Gorm - Munro number 25! Plus obligatory jumping photo (everything in white is in the distance!)

It was a bit chilly up there, and the gloves went on. We didn't stay at the summit for too long - one Munro was fantastic and we were so chuffed we'd picked such a beautiful day - but we had 3 more to go!
Cousins on Carn Gorm

Concentration was required as we descended through the snow. I was glad of my walking poles to help me balance on some of the slippier parts.
Looking back towards Carn Gorm
I was concerned about how much we'd have to descend between the Munros today, but thankfully it wasn't too bad between Carn Gorm and number 2, Meall Garbh. In fact, this lulled me into a false sense of security, as the distance/descents between 2 & 3 and 3 & 4 were a lot trickier!

Forty minutes or so after leaving Carn Gorm, we made it to the summit of Meall Garbh and its rather unattractive display of fence posts!
Meall Garbh - Munro number 26!
Looking towards Schiehallion
Again we didn't spend too long at the summit. There wasn't a breath of wind, but it was already 2.30pm and we still had 2 Munros to go!
I spent most of the day at the back of the pack, but was quite happy with this, as Colin and Callum paved the way through the snow, and I followed in their footsteps. We were behind most of the other walkers of the day, but rarely saw anyone, and generally picked our own path through the snowy patches. It was always reassuring to see footsteps nearby though!

The boys set a good pace, and I've no doubt I would have been a lot slower on my own. Having done my last few Munros as solo jaunts, this day reminded me of why it's good to have company - takes your mind off the pain!

There was a fair slog between Meall Garbh and the 3rd Munro of the day, Carn Mairg. Spirits were getting quite low (for me anyway) and I was tiring.
Callum powering on...Carn Mairg in the distance

After an hour or so, thankfully, we made it!

Carn Mairg - Munro number 27

Schiehallion from the summit of Carn Mairg
We left the summit of Munro number 3 at 3.45pm and headed towards Creag Mhor, the last Munro of the day. We had a wee bit of trouble getting down from Carn Mairg, picking our way through boulders and being thankful that they were dry! I slipped a wee bit but thankfully didn't hurt myself.
Looking back towards the descent from Carn Mairg

Heading towards Creag Mhor






Creag Mhor - Munro number 28!
Mentally, I found the walk between Carn Mairg and Creag Mhor the toughest part of the day (well, up until that point it was anyway, the descent from Creag Mhor back to the car was probably the worst!), harder even than the slog up Carn Gorm.

Spirits were low indeed, however it was just a case of grinding it out, and soon enough we were at the top!












We were delighted, and spent some time soaking up the panoramic views around us. Having climbed 24 Munros prior to this with generally fairly limited views, I was getting it all on this day. Where were all the clouds I was so used to seeing?!

It was 4.50pm when we began the descent back to the car, hoping to be back before 6pm.

This I found really tough - it was boggy, muddy and snowy underfoot, so concentration was required. It would have been so easy to slip on this part. My brain and body were so tired. It just felt like a slog, and with no Munro to bag, mentally exhausting. The thought of sustenance and comfort were enough to get us there though, and soon we were back at the felled plantation.

Literally a few minutes from the car, I slipped and fell on my right knee. To be honest my knees were already so sore, I didn't notice any pain! There's a wee bit of bruising and a wee scrape, but nothing too bad.

We reached the car at 6pm, just shy of 7 hours after setting off. It had been the most incredible day - stunning views, beautiful weather, great hills, good company, and generally a grand day out! The achievement of it all didn't really sink in until later. I was buzzing on adrenaline (and red bull!)

I got a lift back to my car in Aberfeldy, said goodbye to the boys (I couldn't manage a night in a tent after all that!) and got home to the Borders at 8.30pm. A hot shower, bowl of soup and small glass of red later, I was absolutely shattered.

The days after were hard going. I was in a lot of pain, particularly my quads, for 3 days. Thankfully the weather was so nice, it was a good excuse to sit outside and sunbathe! I stupidly went to Zumba on Tuesday and could barely lift my feet off the ground.

Thankfully the pain is all gone now, and my thoughts turn to my next Munros. I've got the bug again - but who wouldn't after a day like this?!

Big thanks to Colin and Callum for keeping my spirits high, especially at the low points! What a day!

No comments:

Post a Comment