Thursday 13 April 2017

thirty one down, 251 to go!

I have a thing about numbers, and for a while now I've been trying to square up my Munro count with my age. The big target last year was 30 by 30, and whilst I didn't achieve that, it paved the way for 31 by 31, and I wouldn't change that for the world!

Obviously it wasn't meant to happen last year, but it was certainly meant to be in 2017. I'm so pleased with the way it turned out in the end, having brilliant days on 25th March bagging 4 Munros in Glen Lyon and 4th April bagging 2 with Dad in the Lawers Range. That took my count to 30.

All I needed was the weather to behave on Monday 10th April in order to turn 31 on my 31st Munro. The mountain weather forecast was predicting 70% chance of cloud free Munros where I was planning on heading. This was good enough for me, and I set my sights on Stuchd an Lochain, a return to Glen Lyon.

I'm usually fairly mentally prepared for a day in the hills, as it's a habit for me to worry about almost every aspect of the trip in the days prior. However, with work and a family get-together over the weekend, I got to bed late on Sunday night with only a vague plan for an early start on a Monday morning.

Mum had volunteered to join me, which was very much appreciated, and we met at Hillend at 8.30am, both feeling a bit tired and unprepared. It was a slow drive out to Killin, back along the Ben Lawers/Glen Lyon road, and into uncharted territory. As we headed through Glen Lyon, we were under the impression we were to head to the dam at the end of the road, where the walk started. What we weren't aware of was that there are two dams along here, and of course we ended up at the wrong one. I was feeling quite agitated and stressed at this point, as it was after 11am and I didn't really know where we were.

Thankfully we sorted ourselves out, got to the right place and were ready to go by 11.30am. Later than I hoped, but we were also further away from where I thought we'd be (definitely unprepared!).

I then realised I had been here before - bagging Meall Buidhe on 21st December 2013.
Looking across to Meall Buidhe

We headed past the dam, then off the track and onto the hillside, where the path climbed initially steady then ultimately steeply UP. This wasn't fun, and immediately I was already worrying about having to descend this way too.
The only way is UP, baby!

We soldiered on, taking regular stops, and telling ourselves "we're almost there". And soon we emerged onto the top of the ridge on Creag an Fheadain. The views were incredible.
Looking ahead to our right, we could see the summit of Stuchd an Lochain. It looked not too far, but far enough as the wind picked up and the snow/hail started! A bit stingy in the face at times, and even Tig didn't look thrilled at the prospect of walking into this.
Here comes the snow!
Lochan nan Cat below the summit of Stuchd an Lochain
On our final push to the summit, we met a lovely guy who was on his way down. He described Tig as an "unbustable" looking dog, which really made my day! It turned out he'd driven to the wrong dam initially too, which made us feel better!

The clouds swept over just in time for arrival at the summit of Stuchd an Lochain, and blue sky and views were abundant.
I couldn't believe I'd made it - my 31st Munro on my 31st birthday, what a feeling!!

I was also really chuffed for Mum too - it wasn't an easy climb up to this point, and here she was!
Munro number 31 - Stuchd an Lochain!
 
We spent time at the summit admiring the views, taking pictures and eating birthday cake. It had taken us 2 hours to get there, and we wanted to savour the moment.
But we could also see another load of cloud/snow/hail coming our way, so it was time to make our descent. Back along the ridge we went, and when the weather swept over again, the views down Glen Lyon were superb. On the other side, we could see right across Rannoch Moor to the Buichaille and Ben Nevis. Stunning.
Looking back down Glen Lyon
Towards Rannoch Moor

The descent back down the steep bit really wasn't fun. But we persevered, and it was a great relief when we finally reached the dam again.

We got back to the car just after 3.30pm, making this a 4 hour walk. We were tired but delighted!

A pit-stop in Callander on the way home for sustenance (I'm becoming a regular at the Old Bank!), and I got back to Stow at 7.30pm to open my birthday presents, and eat the amazing birthday cake my neighbour had made for me.

I'm so chuffed to have completed this Munro on this day, it really was the best way to spend a birthday Monday. And in great company too, with Mum and Tig!

Wonder what the next adventure will be?

No comments:

Post a Comment