Sunday 27 January 2013

eleven down, 271 to go!

Well well well! I did not expect to be writing that title in January. I had really written off the winter for Munro bagging, as I don't have the kit and I don't have the confidence. Schiehallion last year was a real treat but I realised after our failed attempt on Meall nan Tarmachan a few weeks later that bagging in the snow is a totally different ballgame.

When a winter skills course appeared on a deal website, I hesitated for just a short time before buying it and not giving myself a choice but to go ahead and just DO IT. I wanted to know whether winter-bagging was for me or not.

I booked a place on Glentrek's Winter Walking Expedition for the 26th of January. At the time I booked it, there wasn't much snow in the north. That was soon to change...

The snow came again last week, with the Borders and Aberdeenshire being hit really hard. Us in our Edinburgh bubble weren't really affected. The snow fell but it certainly didn't lie. The tragic events that have taken place in the mountains in recent weeks added to the uncertainty as the 26th got closer. I wasn't sure whether the course would even go ahead. Having received a call on Thursday to say it was in doubt, I was torn between wanting to go and not wanting to risk going. However, on Friday I heard the day was going ahead...and now it was just a matter of getting there.

Stage one was getting to Kinross on Friday evening to stay with my outlaws. There were some almost hairy moments on the M90 with visibility low but it actually proved more difficult getting into Dave's parent's road and drive - I had no idea there had been so much snow up there! I was relieved to get there of course but perhaps even more nervous about what the A93 would bring.

Stage two - which began before 7am on Saturday morning with the sheer effort of getting out of bed - was getting from Kinross to the Spittal of Glenshee Hotel. By the time I'd got my gear on, my lovely boyfriend had already started my car, filled my flask and packed my rolls into my backpack. All I had to do now was to get myself up the road.

Things started to get more challenging shortly after Scone. I knew this would be the case, and I was reassured by the other cars ahead of me and behind me, but I was still really anxious about the drive. I haven't driven in wintery conditions since my days driving a Rabbies bus through the winter of 2010/11 and that wasn't an experience I wanted to repeat in a hurry! This was the first time I'd ever driven up the A93 and now (with the benefit of hindsight a day later) I'm itching to do it again in slightly better conditions. When I did get the chance to look out of the window, the sights were absolutely beautiful. The golden sun rose above the snow topped mountains as I drove down white avenues of trees. It was sublime.

One of the worst moments had to be on the uphill section of road just after Blairgowrie. By that point I was number 5 in a line of around 15 cars when 2 cars in front - at different times - decided to stop on the climb to let others past. We were forced into the southbound lane - which was totally covered in snow - to dodge them. I was skidding all over the place and not a happy bunny at the folk who stopped. Worst place to do it!

Eventually I was within a couple of miles of Glenshee, I was making good time when - everything stopped. The snow gates were still closed up ahead, and there was a long line of traffic. The only benefit was that this was my view from where I was stopped:

I was there for about half an hour before we moved again. Thankfully the others on the course were in the same line of traffic, and we all arrived around the same time. Having dropped my guard at the relief of seeing the S of G Hotel I very nearly overshot the entrance and got myself stuck. Thankfully my wee car managed to skid its way in to the carpark and I breathed a massive sigh of relief. I met Mike and Paul from Glentrek and collected my ice axe (scary), crampons, winter boots and helmet. We then made our way up to the ski centre carpark at Glenshee. I was very happy to leave my car at the hotel and accept a lift in a 4x4! It was a stunning drive up and I was amazed by the number of skiing/snowboarding folk heading the same way.


Carn Aosda in the distance



















The group (8 in total) got the kit on and we started walking towards the ski centre.


I felt like I was in another world. Not only was it my first trip to Glenshee but also my first insight into the world of skiing - it looked like a lot of fun!

We picked our way through the skiers and began climbing. Mike said we were heading for Carn Aosda, which was the first time I realised we'd be bagging a Munro today. I was so excited!

It was really tough going in the snow. On most steps the snow was up to my knees, and occasionally it was thigh and hip deep. It had all fallen the previous night so was quite soft. Mike and Paul kept searching for hard snow to give us some winter skills training, but it was nigh impossible to find. However as we went, they shared a wealth of information about the snow.


I like the 'beak' of snow in the ridge on the left


Mike in the snow






Mike blazing a trail ahead




















Soon we were away from the ski runs and the hills began to take shape around us. The wind was blowing a hoolie and the snow was coming with it. I was very thankful for Dave's ski goggles!

The group & some hangers-on!

Off-piste skiers!

Windy!

Mike and Paul
We stopped quite frequently which was great, as it was tiring work pounding through the snow!

Soon we reached more rocky terrain and a ridge - which was a relief as there wasn't nearly as much snow on the ridge. It was at that moment I experienced another first - I saw my first ever mountain hare!


Once we got further along the ridge, and within touching distance of the summit of Carn Aosda, we stopped for lunch and some winter skills. Mike and Paul finally found the much sought-after hard snow. We did some sliding and some ice axe work, as well as learning some very valuable and interesting information on avalanches. I think the whole group was humbled - I was astonished at just how easy avalanches can occur.

We then did a bit of abseiling with the rope held by the snow - very impressive stuff!


By this point I really wasn't feeling well. I think I'd just caught a chill from stopping, as well as a touch of fatigue. I couldn't stop yawning and I felt really nauseous. My hands were freezing, partly because of my rubbish circulation, partly because of my lack of an inner pair of gloves, and mostly because it was bloody freezing up there! I'm not sure of the temperature but had to be in the minuses - we were almost at 3000 feet and the weather was changing.

Soon we made the final burst up to the top of Carn Aosda, and I bagged - unexpectedly - my 11th Munro! Yet again, this Munro was entirely different to any other. It was the first one I'd done as a group effort, it was one I didn't know I was doing until I was...doing it, and my first proper experience of real winter-bagging.

I was elated - and freezing!!

Munro number 11 - Carn Aosda!
After a group photo we - or rather I - scarpered off the summit pretty quickly! We came down by a ski run through some really deep snow, and very quickly were back amongst the skiers and snowboarders.

After we had a debrief and a cup of tea back at the Spittal of Glenshee Hotel, I turned for home. The drive down was thankfully uneventful and I was back in Edinburgh around 7pm. A hot shower, fish supper, can of irn bru and an evening of watching Mrs Doubtfire later, I was tucked up in bed and giving it big ZZZZZs.

Today I'm feeling a wee bit tired but very happy to have bagged an unexpected Munro and to have had a fabulous day out. I feel quite proud of myself for forcing myself way out of my comfort zone. Most of all I'd have to thank Mike and Paul at Glentrek for a brilliant day out! I'm still undecided if winter-bagging is for me - I think I need to build up my confidence with a bit more summer-bagging before I head out in the serious snow again! What a day though!

1 comment:

  1. Well done! Awesome photos and great description. I'm so proud of you! It looks to have been really difficult conditions (both the drive and the trek -- you had me feeling quite nervous about the roads!) but you write as if it were no big deal. : )

    ReplyDelete