Thursday 6 April 2017

twenty nine AND thirty down, 252 to go!

Wow, I am so chuffed to have finally reached my target of 30 Munros! Only a year later than I intended...but well worth the wait. I don't know why 30 was such a milestone for me - initially I was trying to bag 30 Munros before turning 30. When that didn't happen, I readjusted and aimed for 30 Munros whilst still 30. Tick!

I got the bagging bug again after a magnificent day on the Glen Lyon Munros. With two weeks of being thirty left, I looked at my available days and analysed the mountain weather forecast. Tuesday 4th April was looking the best, and only, possibility. Rain very unlikely, and 80% chance of cloud-free Munros in Perthshire.

I was delighted to have company for this trip (I realised after the last Munro-bagging adventure that it's a lot more fun with someone else there!), with my Dad having expressed an interest in joining me. It would also be the first opportunity to take Tig with me too, fitting as it has been a year since we rescued her.

I had my sights set on Meall Corranaich and Meall a'Choire Leith in the Lawers range. The appeal of starting quite high up really sold these hills to me, although I must confess I was slightly concerned reading about the boggy nature of the start/end.

I met Dad at Hillend at 8.15am and we made it to the small car park on the Lawers/Glen Lyon road around 10.20am. We got our gaiters on, and set off at 10.30am.
After an initially promising path, we were into the notorious bog and trying to pick a sensible route through without sinking. Tig was running off the pent-up energy from being in the car for a couple of hours, and I was getting worried about her getting stuck in the mud. We kept her as close as possible, and she even helped us pick our way through the bog.

We soon picked up the fence posts, and followed these pretty much to the top of Meall Corranaich! It wasn't too much of a slog up thankfully, although the increasing wind made it all the more challenging. Occasionally cloud swept in and over to Ben Lawers. It was a bit tough going in the wind (Tig didn't look thrilled at this point!), but after just shy of 2 hours, we made it to the top of Meall Corranaich. Munro number 29 in the bag!


Meall Corranaich - Munro number 29 (Tig's first!)


After a couple of photos on the summit, we made our way along the ridge towards Meall a'Choire Leith. Thankfully the cloud had swept over and the way was clear. I was feeling apprehensive about this part for some reason, but I also really enjoyed the straightforward ridge walk, with views all round. The views back towards Meall nan Tarmachan were superb.
Looking back to Meall Corranaich
Meall a'Choire Leith in the distance

We descended to the bealach between the two Munros, and then started ascending again. This was immediately a shock to the system, and a refuel was needed. Mars Bars are the perfect hill fodder - I felt a turbo boost that got me all the way to the top of Meall a'Choire Leith.
I was finding myself really enjoying these hills, hopefully Dad felt the same! Tig was loving it - she stayed close and kept an eye on us both (she's a very protective terrier!).

We reached the summit of Munro number 2 at 1.30pm, exactly 3 hours after setting off. I was absolutely over the moon to reach my 30th Munro - as I say, this felt like a big milestone for me!

Meall a'Choire Leith - Munro number 30 (Tig's 2nd!)



It was quite windy again on the summit, so we didn't hang around for long before commencing the slog back to the car. This was the least fun part of the day - it took us an hour and a half, and it was a total bog-fest.

Thankfully we remained dry and the gaiters were a godsend. Mentally it was tiring, and spirits were low. But at 3pm we finally reached the car.
 
We rewarded ourselves with macaroni cheese and chips back in Callander, before heading back to the Borders. I got home just after 7pm, tired but thankfully not too sore. Most of all, delighted at the achievement, and chuffed to have enjoyed such a brilliant day out with Dad and Tig.

The muscles haven't been too bad since, probably because of the higher start point on these hills, and nothing to do with improved fitness!

Can't wait for the next adventure!
30 Munros...from September 2011 to April 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment