Sunday 18 June 2017

thirty six down, 246 to go!

This one was a bit daunting for me. I was heading back out on my own after 15 months since my last solo Munro, Meall Ghaordaidh. As I set off I had the Whitesnake song in my head - "here I go again on my own..."

But I needed a morale boost, and going up to the top of a 3000 feet mountain was the fix for me. It was fairly last minute, but I'd spotted a single Munro just north of the 'Glenshee three' that Kate and I conquered in early May. I was aiming for An Socach. It looked fairly straightforward navigation-wise, and at just shy of 10 miles altogether, it would be a good walk for Tig and I.

That's when I realised I wouldn't be on my own at all. I would have Tig with me - my wee pal.

We left Stow at 10.20am, and got a pretty clear run to Glenshee. I was glad to have missed all the morning rush hour traffic.

I parked in the lay-by just across the road from the start point, the 3rd car there, and set off at 12.50pm. I wasn't feeling brilliant; slightly nauseous for some reason and not totally in the zone. I'd had a text from my big brother to tell me I was needed for a delivery the next day (I was chancing my luck that I wouldn't be needed) so I felt the pressure was on a bit to get home in reasonable time before an early start tomorrow. I thought I'd crack on and if I wasn't feeling it then I'd call it a day.
Of course, the further I got the less and less likely it was I was going to turn back, but also the more I walked the better I felt. So I just kept going.

However I fell into one of my worst habits - going too quickly. I had no one there to help pace me, or to tell me I didn't need to hurry. Consequently I was clumsy - I kept tripping over rocks and I had a few worrying ankle and knee twinges. I also managed to step on some heather, thinking it was solid underneath, and slip onto some rocks as it wasn't as solid as it appeared!
Slipped down onto the rocks below!

After leaving the land-rover track and crossing the burn, I was on the 'up' section, and it was very boggy indeed. It felt like a slog. Eventually I saw the stone cairn I was aiming for, and kept pushing on. I met another solo female walker coming down, who told me it was very windy at An Socach's summit.

I took a wee breather at the cairn, then headed for the next bit of ascent. I knew once I'd got to the top of this part, I 'only' had to walk along a broad ridge to reach the summit. I liked how the 'up' sections were fairly short and manageable.
When I reached the ridge, I definitely noticed a change in the wind speed. I was far more exposed to it now, and my jacket, hat and gloves went on. I could see Carn Aosda, the Cairnwell and Carn a'Gheoidh alongside me, and could see cloud sweeping in although I felt it was high enough that it wouldn't affect me.
Looking across to Loch Vrotachan & the Cairnwell
(not the summit cairn)

Looking to Loch nan Eun

It was a reasonably lengthy walk along the wide ridge to the summit, or it certainly felt that way going into the wind. At 3pm I made it, and immediately took shelter in the wee cairn!
Munro number 36 for me / number 9 for Tig
 

Tig and I spent about five minutes there before braving the elements once more. We retraced our steps all the way back, although I was very glad when I descended from the ridge and was out of the wind.


I was pushing myself on, determined to get back to the car on or before the 4 hour mark. I don't know why - I guess I was already worried about how late home I'd be. I enjoyed the challenge though, and I did make it, almost exactly on the dot at 4.50pm.

I struck lucky with the drive home too, missing the rush hour traffic again and being home by half past 7, to a fish supper.

I was physically exhausted - this felt like the quickest Munro I'd done - and mentally exhausted too. I'd worried about being on my own, about not feeling quite right, about falling over and hurting myself. But I managed, and it's a confidence boost to get out there on my own again (apart from Tig) and now I'm over that hurdle I'll feel better about solo Munros once more. It did make me realise how much I've enjoyed having company over the past 11 hills though - Colin, Calum, Dad, Mum, Ross, Kate and Dave.

I was tired the next day having not slept very well (thankfully I didn't have to get up quite as early as I thought I would!) but not sore at all, which was a relief. Maybe I am getting fitter - it's a shame I don't feel it though!

No comments:

Post a Comment