Sunday 26 October 2014

Corbett-conquering - Ben Vrackie on a beautiful day

I've been beating myself up for a while now (all year, to be accurate) about my lack of Munro-bagging progress in 2014. Despite high hopes at the turn of the year that I'd bag, so far I've only managed one - Stob a'Choire Odhair in February. Perhaps that snowy, stormy experience put me off slightly, perhaps I've just had a lazier year than planned. Most of all, I think the move to the Borders (exactly a year ago!) has left me not only geographically further away from the Munros, but mentally too. Many weekends have been spent doing "housey" stuff, or watching local rugby, or doing local walks. I haven't had the same drive or energy to get to the big boys in the north.

I'm about to have a lot more time on my hands, so perhaps I will get another Munro or two in this year - perhaps not. I'm okay with whatever happens. Them hills there will always be there. And as long as I'm here, I'll find the time.

Meanwhile, I've enjoyed conquering a number of "smaller" hills this year - a Graham, in the form of Stac Pollaidh, and a Corbett, in the form of Ben Vrackie, two weeks ago.



Dave and I were spending the night in Pitlochry, and made the most of our time in the area by going for a walk up a famous local hill. Dave had done Ben Vrackie before, but I hadn't.


We got a bit of a later start than we meant, and it was no big surprise on a bonnie day such as this that the car park was already full. We found a space further down the road, and added a wee bit of tarmac-pounding to the start of our climb. And climb it was - right from the start we were heading in an uphill direction (no big surprise!) and I found it tough going initially. I know I am not as fit as I have been in the past, and with the sun beating down, it was a warm day and thus a sweaty day.

Soon we left a wooded section and we were out onto the open moorland. Ben Vrackie loomed in the distance, looking far bigger than my legs were ready for!

There were mountain bikers ahead of us, who looked like they were struggling up. It definitely looked harder than walking!
 

After a gentler incline, we reached the edge of Loch a' Choire, and could see the steep uphill section to the summit looming ahead. It looked challenging to say the least!
 
 

Dave and I agreed we'd go for short pushes, with lots of rest breaks. It's the best way to go uphill I think - it does allow for good progress, without burning out too quickly.

About half way up we had a very welcome rest break in the form of meeting a lovely Border Terrier called Sanna. She was getting a lift up from her friendly owners, and they allowed Dave to say hello. She was a very placid, laidback dog!
 
 

After saying our goodbyes, we continued ahead, but when we looked back, Sanna was back on foot and marching with a purpose to the summit! As were we - and after another short push, we were there!!
 

The views were simply stunning! We were so lucky, and so grateful to be at the summit of Ben Vrackie on a day such as this.
 
 
 
 

It got chilly quite quickly, so we didn't spend ages at the top. We decided to descend slightly so we were out of the wind, and sit and have our packed lunch further down. Very welcome sustenance indeed! Although we had considered taking the alternative route back to the car park around Loch a' Choire, by the time we'd had our lunch we were fairly puggled and looking forward to our luxury hotel room!!

 
 
Dave and I had the opportunity to stay for a night in Fonab Castle in Pitlochry - a real treat. A luxurious castle hotel set stunningly on the banks of Loch Faskally. We enjoyed beautiful autumnal colours, and impressive views from the comfort of our room.

Sadly there wasn't a bath to relax in, but a nice long hot shower was perfectly acceptable. Looking out of the window from our room, I could see Ben Vrackie in the distance. What a beautiful spot.
 

Ben Vrackie (as well as Stac Pollaidh) was a great lesson for me - it doesn't always have to be about bagging a Munro. There are so many fantastic hills in Scotland that are less than 3,000 feet. It's never been about ticking a list for me; it has always been about the experience on the day. Having said that, of course I'd like to bag every Munro in Scotland. That is my goal. But it would be a shame to miss out on the Corbetts, Grahams and the rest.

The luxury castle stay was a one off - but the delight in conquering Ben Vrackie is a feeling that I want more and more of...

No comments:

Post a Comment