Sunday 4 January 2015

Thank you 2014...hello 2015!

I find it so fascinating to look back on my blog posts of previous years and to recognise the changes and progression I have made. I don't usually find this easy to do, so my blog is so helpful in allowing me to give myself a wee bit of credit - just a wee bit mind - for things I have achieved. It is like reading an old diary back and remembering who you were at the time of writing.

I cringe a lot when I read it back, but if I'm a bit kinder I recognise that I've come a long way, even since I started my anxious amblings.

On Hogmanay I read back my 'yearly reviews' of 2011, 2012 and 2013. So much happened in each of these three years. I made a lot of changes in my life, and I challenged myself in many ways. On the turn of each year I always have high hopes for the next. I do sometimes feel dread too, and I certainly felt that coming in to 2014...2013 had been such an amazing year for me, and I wondered whether 2014 could live up to that.

I had a feeling in my bones that it would be an interesting year. A year of change and transition. I wasn't wrong.

It didn't start so good, I have to say, although this was entirely self-inflicted. Dave and I enjoyed our first Hogmanay together in the Scottish Borders a bit too much, and didn't see January 1st. An awful hangover brought in the year...

I struggled with January, and February. I felt very unhappy in my work life, and the commuting was taking its toll. I didn't do as much walking as I wanted. I gave myself a very hard time.

February at least brought a Munro. I'm shocked to say it turned out to be the only Munro of the year! Although given how challenging it was, perhaps this isn't too surprising. I bagged my 22nd Munro, Stob a'Choire Odhair, with Alun in the snow. It was the toughest hill I have done, in the toughest conditions. A great achievement, and the only Munro of 2014!

I was getting out for shorter walks as often as I could but not nearly on the same scale as 2013. In 2013 I'd been training for the West Highland Way, walking as often as I could. A year later, I had stopped walking 15 miles a week and started commuting 15 hours a week, and that lifestyle change was really telling. I was (and am!) so much happier living in the Borders, but I wasn't walking as much as I used to, and I lost the fitness I'd built up the year before.

So it was a great feeling in March to be back out on the trail, completing the first stage of the St Cuthbert's Way, from Melrose to Harestanes.
March was tough in that it marked a year since my time on the West Highland Way, and I was unbelievably nostalgic for that time. It's hard to believe now that it was nearly two years ago! I often read back my WHW blog post to bring back those happy memories.

A change of scene was needed, and Dave and I were fortunate enough to head off to County Wicklow on a work trip. We explored new territory for us both, and enjoyed a couple of days walking on the Wicklow Way. Sadly a run in with some cows left me terrified of the bovine beasts for the rest of the year, but overall it was a great experience. I left much of my lethargy behind me too.
March also brought the wedding of my cousin Colin to Natalie - a really lovely day!
 
I always like the month of April, although that's mostly because my birthday falls in this Spring month. I had a great walk with my good pal Amanda on the Water of Leith.
 
Reading back that post, I just had a sharp intake of breath when I read the following:

And now, on the eve of turning 28, I have to admit to myself that I have not achieved the target I set myself of 28 Munros by age 28. I am disappointed I was unable to achieve this - I worry that for some reason this year I will not achieve my goals and I will disappoint myself.

It seems unbelievably harsh. Thankfully I can look back and say that I whilst I may not have achieved certain goals in 2014, I accomplished other things and I did not disappoint myself!

Easter Friday brought a fantastic 20 mile walk near Duns, on a beautiful day. I got sunburnt!
May brought some brilliant exploring in the Borders, and a bit further south too. I visited my dear friend Kirsty in Chester, and enjoyed another change of scene.
 
Soon it was June, and there was more walking to be had. Hooray! Dave and I completed the second stage of the St Cuthbert's Way, from Harestanes to Kirk Yetholm. It was a great day, although a lot more challenging than we'd thought!
 
We're halfway now, having not yet completed the next two stages from Kirk Yetholm to Lindisfarne. Plenty of time for that!

June also brought the fantastic challenge that was the MoonWalk - Mum and I completed 13 miles at 3.35am, with Dave's mum just behind us. A great night/morning, and an amazing way to see Edinburgh!
The excitement of this middle month of the year didn't end there. A wee trip to Jedburgh on a sunny day to watch Mum take part in the Commonwealth Games Baton Relay was one of my absolute highlights of 2014.
Looking back, June was a very busy month indeed. Personal achievements also included coming second in the Stow Sports Day high-jump, and spending two weeks in charge at work. A real challenge, it was great to have a trip to the Isle of Arran to look forward to at the end of the month...

And so on the 1st of July we found ourselves back on one of our favourite Scottish islands. This time we were accompanied by Dave's family over from Australia, and we enjoyed stunning weather and swimming in the sea! It was a very relaxing holiday - just what was needed after June.
July also brought a wee visit from my friend Susannah from across the pond, a trip to the Rugby Sevens at the Commonwealth Games, an exit from Facebook (never looked back!) and my first wild swimming adventure - with wetsuit - in St Mary's Loch on a very wet day!
 
Wild swimming was one of my goals for 2014, and so I'm chuffed to say I did it! In September (just to jump ahead briefly) Dave and I swam down the Tweed from Gattonside to the Temple of the Muses. It was an absolutely fantastic adventure! I didn't blog about it at the time because I had no photos (tempted to purchase a waterproof camera!!) but I think our wetsuits could be getting quite a few outings in 2015!

June and July were lots of fun, and August was too. It brought my one and only long distance trail of the year, the delightful Cateran Trail. I saw the best of Scotland in 5 days of walking - great scenery, food, beer, and every kind of weather!
August was also notable for Alastair and Gemma's delightful wedding at Wedderburn Castle, Stowed Out Music Festival, and a trip to Skye.
 
September was a month we had been thinking about for a very long time. The referendum in Scotland was something that played a part in our lives every day of 2014, up to September 18th and even beyond. We chatted about it constantly; not to mention argued with friends and relatives, met new people, read so much, and became far more politically engaged and aware than ever before.

It was an exciting and nerve-wracking time to be in Scotland, and although we were absolutely gutted by the result (the 19th of September was a very dark day indeed) we know that the country has changed for the better, and we have too.

September was a month of heightened awareness, not just in politics but in personal life too. A change was needed in my work life. Clarity came eventually on an amazing post-referendum trip in my Uncle's camper-van (Betsy). Dave and I discovered new parts of Scotland, and revisited favourites. There are so many highlights from this trip - so many wonderful moments and photos. The blog posts are here:

Part One: The Borders to Stac Pollaidh: anxious-ambler.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/a-windy-wild-and-wonderful-week-in.html

Part Two: Stac Pollaidh to the Borders: anxious-ambler.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/a-windy-wild-and-wonderful-week-in_19.html


 
 
A beautiful sunset from Mallaig, seeing otters in Poolewe, picking mussels from the beach and cooking them that night, climbing Stac Pollaidh, pies from Lochinver, sunbathing on Achmelvich beach, a wild walk to Sandwood Bay, a rocking night at Durness, Smoo Caves....the memories are truly wonderful.

We felt rejuvenated after this trip. The day we returned we were grateful for hot showers (and the motion sickness finally passed!) before heading off to my big brother's 30th birthday party - a brilliant night, if a bit sore for the birthday boy by the end!

October was soon upon us, and it brought an adventure up Ben Vrackie, another of my stand out moments of the year. Although I only bagged one Munro in 2014, the 2 other hills (Stac Pollaidh and Ben Vrackie) were both incredible.
There was also a hen night in October, for my awesome pal Amy, and before long it was...

...November! And there was a wedding to be had! But before that, I left my job and did a lot more walking! I got out and about as much as possible, enjoying local walks in the Borders and time on the beach in East Lothian, as well as Dusinane Hill in Perthshire. I had time to enjoy stunning sunrises and beautiful sunsets, and I even started running again!!
 
 
December arrived. I managed to keep walking as regularly as I could, and enjoyed a number of walks with my Dad. I also really enjoyed the run up to Christmas, which often can be quite an anxious time. Christmas itself was fantastic - great family time with lots of food!


I was delighted to receive a 'proper' camera for Christmas, and so really look forward to more photography in 2015. I've had a few wee trips out and about with it since Christmas, which has been great.

When we reached the last day of 2014, I found that I was not sad the year was over. I usually am incredibly nostalgic, sad, and a bit fearful of what is ahead. This time was different - I found myself really excited about starting a new year, really hopeful of everything that is to come. There's a number of challenges I have set myself, but I am also going to try and be much less hard on myself, and to take what comes. To have faith that what is meant to be, will be.

And so 2015 was brought in very positively and calmly. Dave and I had our next door neighbours round, and although the bonfire and fireworks were cancelled in Stow due to the high winds, we had a great night! The first day of 2015 was spent running into the sea at North Berwick, followed by a lovely meal in good company.

I made a lot of important changes to my life in 2014, and I hope that I'll see the benefit of these even more in 2015. I do feel excitement and hope about what is ahead. Hopefully I can keep that going through the tough months of January and February!

So for now I say hello to 2015 and I look forward to everything it brings! Thank you to you for continuing (I hope!) to read my blog, for social media interactions, and for kind words. It is so much appreciated, and I hope you will continue to follow my adventures...

No comments:

Post a Comment