Wednesday 2 January 2013

Here we go, 2013!

It is funny to read back my post of January 3rd, 2012; to relive the memorable moments of 2011 and to revisit the positive vibes I took in to 2012.

2012 proved to be a fantastic year, full of many highs. It all began at the top of the Royal Mile, when the clock struck midnight and the sky exploded in a frenzy of fireworks. I was ready to say goodbye to the highs - and most importantly - the lows of 2011. Just a minute into January 2012 and the slate was clean. It was blank too - there were no real plans, only hopes and dreams.

By the end of January, I'd conquered a Munro and had an interview for a job that I so desperately wanted. Schiehallion in the snow lingers on as one of my favourite moments of the year. My second Munro, the views north, the company, the cupcakes, the sheer delight at the achievement. The interview took place on January 25th and is memorable not only for that but for the double dose of haggis - for lunch and for dinner!

Just a week later and Dave and I were out on Meall nan Tarmachan - sadly not Munro number three but a lesson in humility and respect for Alba's peaks. A few days later I was offered a temporary position at Absolute Escapes, and was delighted to accept. Before beginning work on the 20th of February, mum and I took a great trip to Crieff Hydro - complete with a fine walk, a distillery tour and some hilarious crazy golf! Dave and I took the train to Inverness for a romantic Valentine's Day/Night in the Capital of the Highlands.





 


 





March brought a swinging sixties party which was most enjoyable, and was in general a swinging month. A change of pace in my work life, and a few short walks here and there. A research trip on the West Highland Way whetted my appetite for more, and a brilliant Beer and Food Matching evening at the Edinburgh Cookery School whetted my appetite and more!

I turned 26 in April, and celebrated with deep fried haggis balls (what else?). It also brought my first proper 'taste of the trails'. I was now, through my work, far more aware of Scotland's long distance trails and got myself properly kitted out. I spent some time on the Borders Abbeys Way and the Fife Coastal Path, and found I had very itchy feet for more!











Thankfully May brought my third Munro - a second attempt at Meall nan Tarmachan, and a successful one! Although this Munro seemed adamant on teaching me lessons - this time I learnt all about 'tops' that are not Munros on their own! But the thought of a double-bag was now in my mind...

May also brought the first wedding of three in 2012, Fraser and Hayley at Hopetoun House. It was a sunny, blue-sky day, and a lot of fun.









 
By the middle of the year, I was busy, happy and trying to get out on more walks! My job was made permanent, and I managed to complete another two stages of the Borders Abbeys Way, from Selkirk to Melrose and from St Boswells to Kelso, on Fathers Day with Dad and Andrew. I also did what I hadn't done in AGES (and secretly what I thought I'd never do again) and RAN five miles! All for a fantastic cause - although we didn't break the world record, The Kilt Run in June was surely the most fun one can have with their kilt on. Post-run Dave and I hotfooted it to Skye for a cracking few days under the Skye sun. This time I was on my own time, allowing me to see different parts of this intoxicating island than I was used to. Exploring Sleat and taking the Glenelg ferry added to my already large appreciation of the Misty Isle.











We also celebrated the graduation of my youngest brother, Ross (number 701) in Glasgow, a great day!

The nice weather was not to continue and although I did a bit more walking in July, it was very wet walking indeed! Mum, Dad, Ross and myself ventured out on the Rob Roy Way one soaking July day, and enjoyed our stroll up Glen Ogle. Dad and I continued to Inverarnan for the night, and took a short stroll on the West Highland Way the following day. I'll never look at a squashed frog in the same way again...

July also brought happy family times, with a trip to Hopeman, our much-loved Moray Coast destination of choice, and a Macnab torch relay - inspired by the Olympic torch relay - to honour my mum and all her selflessness, dedication and support. We were joined by middle brother Colin, back from Cannes.












August arrived, and with it a trip to my favourite American state, North Carolina. It was fantastic to be reunited with my friends from university there, and to share in the joyous occasion of Susannah and Sunjay's wedding. It also tested my ability to cope with humidity (I didn't do well), to relax after a busy few months, and to catch up with my dear friend Emily.

Home from the States, the end of August brought Brave (twice), my first Edinburgh Military Tattoo, and - TWO more Munros! Mum, Dad and myself conquered Mayar and Dreish in spectacular Glen Clova, Munros number four and five.

This end of August double-bag sparked me into life and I spent the following two weekends bagging four more! Certainly the peak of my Munro conquering, six in 3 weeks. September started well although I found myself struggling mid-month and questioning my anxiety-beating progress. I must learn to channel the feeling of achievement, of being on top of the world, when times are tough.










Whilst June had briefly ignited my running career, September led me back to a bike - something else I hadn't done for a while. The West Linton Three Peaks Challenge proved to be a very testing - but very worthwhile - experience!


October brought with it a truly memorable trip to the west with Dave - and my tenth Munro! We climbed Ben Vane on day one of our trip, and spent the rest our time away recovering! The smallest Munro, but seriously tough going!


There were so many highlights on this trip, but the best - in fact probably the highlight of the year - was travelling to Staffa and Iona. Sand so white I could only dream about, Dave testing the acoustics of Fingal's Cave with a rousing edition of O Flower of Scotland, and getting close - too close - to seal pups. A magical adventure.

October also brought the lovely wedding of Alicia and Stuart in Edinburgh, a work trip to the Yorkshire Dales, an adventure to Alton Towers and the Edinburgh Mountain Film Festival. A very busy month - a very enjoyable month!

By November I had pretty much accepted that I'd be finishing my 2012 Munro count at 9 (10 in total) but I wasn't done walking yet - I completed another section of the Borders Abbeys Way, this time from Kelso to Jedburgh. I hope to complete the final two stages as soon as possible this year. It was a lovely day with Dad and Dave, with some beautiful autumnal colours.

It was a slower month, but with highlights such as Susannah's graduation in Edinburgh and St Andrews Day, and low moments like Scotland's "rugby" and getting two teeth wheeked oot.

And suddenly it was December. There was Panto, games, golf, drinking, lots of food, Christmas, Hogmanay, family reunions and good times.











I start 2013 feeling quite normal - if that's not a weird thing to say! I'm in a much better position now than I was this time last year. Even writing this blog post has made me realise that. I don't often recognise my own progression but I have this evening. I start on a more even keel, although of course I still have hopes, dreams and aims for this year.

There is already much to look forward to. Coming up in January - the Nutcracker ballet at the theatre and the epic that is Les Miserables in the cinema! The rest of the year promises a winter walking expedition in the Cairngorms with Glentrek, a navigational skills course with the Mountaineering Council of Scotland, a gliding experience in Perthshire, a trip to Arran, a trip to America to be bridesmaid for one of my good friends, as well as hopes to travel to Cannes to see Colin, a trip to Epsom to see Ross, many more Munros, at least one long distance trail in its entirety, the completion of the Borders Abbeys Way in stages, and more.

I aim to blog more! I aim to take further steps to progress in my personal battle against anxiety. I aim to have more fun and enjoy more laughs in life. As always, I have lots to be thankful for, and I've thoroughly enjoyed this trip down 2012's memory lane.

Lang may yer lum reek!

No comments:

Post a Comment